A simple yet bright and peppy filling of sautéed spinach and spring onions mixed with crumbled feta tucked inside of a flakey gluten free crust and topped with za’atar spice. These Gluten Free Spinach & Feta Parcels make for a delicious and satisfying appetiser or side that you’ll keep going back for! | Gluten Free + Vegetarian + Low FODMAP friendly
For extra tasty recipes and to see what I’ve been getting as much as you may observe me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest or Twitter .
These Gluten Free Spinach & Feta Parcels are a Mediterranean inspired fusion of a few of my favourite things:
✔️Flaky Pie Crusts (gluten free, of course)
✔️Spinach & Feta flavoured anything
These parcels are reminiscent or a Greek, spanakopita but with a more simplified and gluten free twist.
The Process: Gluten Free Spinach & Feta Parcels
- Prep your crust.
- If you’re feeling up to it, I recommend making these using my flaky gluten free pie crust as your pastry. That being said – no judgment if you’d prefer to use your favourite store-bought gluten free puff pastry! If you live in the UK I can recommend the Jus Rol gf puff pastry roll here. I’ve used it plenty of times when I can’t be bothered with making my own crust.
- Make the filling.
- Sauté your spring onions and spinach in pan until wilted, then mix in with your crumbled feta. It’s a very basic filling that packs in loads of flavour.
- Cut, fill & fold your pastry dough.
- This will be the most tedious step as you need to fill and fold your dough somewhat carefully to keep things from spilling out.
- Seal, sprinkle & bake.
- Cut a small slit in the top of each pastry, brush the tops and edges the dough with egg and then sprinkle with za’atar spice and bake. Once the tops and edges have turned a light golden brown – you’re done!
With balance as the name of the game, I recommend enjoying these as a side to a soup or salad. That way you get something light and healthy with a crispy, cheesy pastry to make it feel a little more indulgent and filling.
Soup Season Suggestions
Salad Season Suggestions
Don’t forget to #asaucykitchen on instagram if you try these Gluten Free Spinach & Feta Parcels. I love seeing what you make! You can also post your pictures to my facebook page!
- Preheat oven to 400°F/205°C.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized pan over a medium heat. Add the spring onions and spinach. Sauté 2-3 minutes until the spinach has wilted and the spring onions have softened. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the feta, spinach and spring onions. Mix until fully combined. Set the mixture aside to cool down as you prepare your pie dough.
- Place your dough on to a big sheet of floured baking paper and roll out in a large rectangle (about 9 inches x 12 inches). Cut the dough into 12 squares (about 3×3 inches).
- Place 1 tablespoon of the feta mixture in to the middle of each square.
- One at a time: fold each square in half from corner to corner to make little triangles. Press the edges of the dough together then brush the whisked egg over the edges to seal. This will help keep the filling from leaking out as they bake.
- Carefully transfer the feta parcels onto a lined or greased baking sheet. Leave about an inch in between each parcel. Cut a couple of slits across the top of the parcels (about 1-2 cm long) to allow air to escape as they bake. Sprinkle the tops of the triangles with za’atar spice then place in the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes until the pastry has goldened. Let cool about 5 minutes before eating.
- Za’atar Substitute: Instead of za’atar, you can use white or black sesame seeds, poppy seeds or simply omit it altogether.
- Calorie & nutrition info is calculated from MyFitnessPal using my homemade gluten free pie crust.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 254Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 315mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g