Yes, it’s true. Whisky does not need to be enjoyed alone, and can be paired with delicious variations of foods that can enhance your whisky drinking experience. Depending on the type of whisky you are drinking, there is a variety of food pairings to explore. At first, they might seem strange, but once you have tried them you will understand why they work so well together.
If you are drinking a smoky single malt, a great food pairing is shellfish such as mussels or clams. For example, the smoked woody flavour of multiple Loch Lomond Whiskies goes hand-in-hand with the briny taste of these seafood dishes. In this post, we will explore some of the perfect pairings for different kinds of whiskies.
Pairings for Different Kinds of Whiskies
The following are some of the most popular whisky types and their ideal food pairings:
- Scotch and Cheese – The smoky, peaty flavour of Scotch pairs nicely with sharp cheddar cheese, or nutty Alpine cheeses like Gruyere and Emmental. What happens here is that the whisky cuts through the richness of the cheese, creating a perfect balance.
- Bourbon and Barbecue – The sweet, woody flavour of bourbon pairs perfectly with smoky barbecue flavours such as pulled pork or ribs. The sweetness of the bourbon complements the charred, smokey notes from the grill.
- Irish Whisky and Shellfish – Irish whisky’s light, smooth flavour goes well with shellfish dishes like lobster or crab. The sweetness of the shellfish is balanced out by the smoky flavours in the whisky.
- Japanese Whisky and Sushi – The delicate, floral notes of a Japanese whisky are perfect for pairing with sushi. The sweetness of the whisky creates a nice contrast with the briny, salty flavours of the sushi.
- Rye and Beef – Rye whisky’s spicy, peppery flavour goes well with steak or other beef dishes. The robustness of the whisky stands up to the bold flavours from the beef, creating a truly delicious pairing.
Some Things to Note When Pairing Whisky and Food
Whilst these pairings can be delicious, there are a few things to note when pairing whisky and food. Firstly, make sure the whisky is not too strong for the dish. Secondly, it’s important to balance out the sweetness of the whisky with other flavours in the dish. Lastly, be sure to experiment and see what works for you and your taste buds.
As you can see, there are endless possibilities when it comes to pairing whisky with food. All it takes is a bit of experimentation to find the perfect combination for your palate. These are just some of the delicious pairings you can enjoy when you combine whisky with food. With so many variations to choose from, there’s sure to be something for everyone. Whether you go for Scotch, Bourbon, Irish Whisky, Japanese Whisky or Rye, whisky can be enjoyed in many ways. So grab a bottle of your favourite and try with various food pairings to find the perfect new match! Enjoy!